If I’m working on a project with others and we reach an impasse, it is probable that someone may say, “No, we just can’t do that.” And nothing chaps my hide worse than a simple NO..a NO with no support or evidence..you know, a “hunch NO.” I need someone to PROVE to me that it won’t work, or it is impossible, or we don’t have the funds or any creative way to raise the funds before I can become a believer in the NO. Then there are times when someone gives up or raises the white flag; I mean, they just surrender. WHAT!?! Yes, some people can throw in the towel when things get tough. This is a concept I can’t really grasp. When things get tough and look impossible..well..that’s when the over-achiever thrives. They like being the hero. They like solving the seemingly impossible problem. I like to…………whoa…I better slow down, this is not my therapy time.
I’m sure much of it is pride and/or stubbornness and certainly controlling issues. And even though surrender to someone/something much stronger and smarter than I sounds great in theory, I still like having some control. Heck, recently I was even likened to that of a dictator..and I know Hitler didn’t take NO very well. So, I certainly have some growing to do.
While I was wrestling with these thoughts this week and still pushing hard through some organizational initiatives and realignment issues that I had championed..someone randomly handed this (copied below) to me in passing Wednesday evening. They had no knowledge of what was going on within my mind. And I’m the guy who deletes nearly every email that has the letters FWD in the subject line. I hate forwards. I think most of these poems and stuff are rubbish and trite..but this one nailed me. So humor me..this may not strike you as hard as it did me..but this was right on time for a guy who thinks he is Superman:
God Said “NO”
- I asked God to take away my habit..God said, NO. It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.
- I asked God to make my handicapped child whole..God said, NO. His spirit is whole, his body is only temporary.
- I asked God to grant me patience..God said, NO. Patience is a byproduct of tribulations; it isn’t granted, it is learned.
- I asked God to give me happiness..God said, NO. I give you blessings; happiness is up to you.
- I asked God to spare me pain..God said, NO. Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings you closer to me.
- I asked God to make my spirit grow..God said, NO. You must grow on your own, but I will prune you to make you fruitful.
- I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life..God said, NO. I will give you life, so that you may enjoy all things.
- I asked God to help me LOVE others as much as He loves me..God said, “Ahhh, you finally get it.”
Even reading that over and over again..I hate seeing God say NO. And hearing NO should be a normal part of the Christian’s life. But it ain’t always easy to hear and that’s because I’ve tied the cape on the wrong person. He is Superman..not me.