~Sanka instant coffee is not as good as the real fresh brewed stuff.
~”You complete me,” is a line from the 1996 movie Jerry Maguire.
I know I’m a skeptic, but instant, free and complete just seem too good to be true. I mean, have you ever tried Sanka..YUCK. And I’ve been to many lunches where someone was picking up the tab..and there is always something to be gained by the other party. And complete-ness just seems impossible in a society that is filled with debt, wantonness, desire and searching for meaning and significance.
So, yeah, I’m a skeptic.
Then in our Life’s Healing Choices small group, I hear Rick Warren explain that God forgives instantly, freely and completely. Wow! How can God do that? If I were to tell someone (a normal human being) some of the things that go through my mind it would certainly change the way they look at me. It would change their perspective and tip the scales. I work hard at “being good” and “trying hard” and minimizing my weaknesses and maximizing my strengths. And it’s hard for me to believe that it’s just THAT easy for God to forgive me and that He really even WANTS to forgive me.
- Maybe I don’t feel worthy, which I’m not. Only through Christ am I worthy.
- Maybe I’ve been raised to think that I have to earn God’s approval and I must act a certain way to attain that.
- Maybe I’ve got a God-complex, which I do. It’s hard to admit that I’m powerless to control my own mind and actions.
- Maybe I just need a better understanding of God’s character.
Warren says, “The basis for forgiveness is not how good or bad you’ve been. The basis for forgiveness is God’s nature. He cannot lie. And if he says he will forgive you, then he will forgive you. There is no sin too bad, too dark, or too shocking for God to forgive. Jesus died for all of your sins, not just some of them, but all of them.” Therefore I believe these statements from the Bible:
- “There is no other god like you, O Lord; you forgive the sins of your people..You will trample our sins underfoot and send them to the bottom of the sea!” (Micah 7:18-19 GNT)
- “So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1 NLT) [This doesn't mean I'm perfect; it just means nothing is hidden.]
- “I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.” (Jeremiah 31:34 NLT) [If I feel guilt it is not from God; it is from the enemy.]
So..He loves me no more or no less based on my thoughts or my actions. His love is based on His character not mine. Therefore I can take all my insufficient, self-serving, prideful, crazy and depraved thoughts and actions and confess them to Him. He wants to forgive me and He wants me to feel that freedom that confession affords. He desires to set me free and cleanse me instantly, freely and completely. Wow, I love that Guy!
“If we confess our sins to God, he can always be trusted to forgive us and take our sins away.” (1 John 1:9 CEV)
I want confession to God to be the New Normal in my life. No more hiding..God sees it all anyway.